Who Needs Vision Insurance?
Vision insurance can help avoid using savings to pay for vision expenses. For what is usually a few dollars a week1, you can get your eye exams covered and pay less for your eyeglasses and contact lenses. Not having vision insurance can cost you hundreds of dollars each year in eye care expenses.2
Clear vision can be essential for everyday activities for you and your family. Taking care of your vision is also important to your overall health. Having regular check-ups can help detect conditions such as diabetes3 and high blood pressure4 before they become more serious. Your eyes not only affect how you see, but how you feel. Caring for your vision can lead to a better quality of life, including fewer headaches, better performance at school, less computer eye strain, more effectiveness at work, and better performance in sports.5
Vision Insurance for Seniors
Focused Vision plans, include annual benefits that cover comprehensive eye exams, prescription lenses, a generous allowance for frames or contacts, a wide selection of brand name frames, and access to the largest network of doctors in the country.
Medicare vision benefits vary depending on the type of plan you have. In many cases, vision care is not covered.6,7
Vision Insurance for Veterans
It’s important for everyone to see an eye doctor annually but especially for veterans who are more likely to have heart disease8 and diabetes9 —two conditions eye doctors often detect first.
Guardian Direct Focused Vision plans, powered by VSP, include annual benefits that cover comprehensive eye exams, prescription lenses, a generous allowance for frames and contacts, a wide selection of brand name frames, and access to one of the largest network of doctors in the country.
Vision Insurance for the Self-Employed or Entrepreneurs
With individual and family vision plan offerings, people who work for themselves can have similar benefits and savings as they would if they were covered under an employer’s plan. Guardian Direct Focused Vision plans, powered by VSP, include annual benefits that cover comprehensive eye exams, prescription lenses, a generous allowance for frames and contacts, a wide selection of brand name frames, and access to one of the largest networks of doctors in the country.
Vision Insurance for College Students
In certain cases, students under the age of 26 can remain on their parents’ health insurance. If that’s not an option, many colleges offer their own health plans to students.
Vision Insurance for Newborns and Children
Vision problems can start at any age. Since 80% of what children learn is visual10, poor vision can affect your child’s schoolwork, sports performance and more. Getting an early exam for your child can play an important role in their healthy growth and development, as well as supporting their academic advancement. Eyeglasses or contact lenses can help children better see the board in the front of the classroom and the books on their desks.
1. https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/health/vision-insurance/ (Last accessed December 2019)
2. https://www.vspdirect.com/about-vsp (Last accessed December 2019)
3. https://www.vsp.com/eyewear-wellness/eye-health/health-conditions/eye-exam-detects-diabetes (Last accessed December 2019)
4. https://www.vsp.com/eyewear-wellness/eye-health/healthy-heart-healthy-eyes (Last accessed December 2019)
5. https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/05/15/611096873/vision-care-lags-with-blind-spots-in-insurance-coverage (Last accessed December 2019)
6. Check your Medicare Plan to see if your vision care needs are covered and/or if Guardian Direct Focused Vision plan, powered by VSP is right for you. VSP Vision Care does not coordinate benefits were Medicare.
7. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4085922/ (Last accessed December 2019)
8. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5737977/ (Last accessed December 2019)
9. https://www.medicare.gov/what-medicare-covers/your-medicare-coverage-choices (Last accessed December 2019)
10. https://www.allaboutvision.com/parents/learning.htm (Last accessed December 2019)
Good Health Starts With Your Smile
You're busy and sometimes it’s a challenge to get it all done. Our plans are designed to help make it easier for you to put your health first - starting with your smile. Find a plan that’s right for you.
Be Prepared for Life's Surprises
You never expect an accident to happen to you or anyone in your family. Our plans help you deal with surprise costs that go along with them. Find a plan that’s right for you.
A Smart Choice for Pet Insurance
Now you can get simple, easy, affordable pet insurance and join millions of other happy customers.
Critical Illness Insurance