How to Buy Dental Insurance
There are several ways to purchase dental insurance. If your employer offers dental insurance as part of your benefits package, or as a voluntary benefit when you start a new job or during open enrollment, which usually occurs in the fall. If you are self-employed and belong to a trade organizations or other association, they may offer group dental insurance to their members.
If your employer doesn’t offer dental insurance, you can purchase private dental insurance from a dental insurance company over the phone, through a broker or online. Limited options are available on healthcare.gov or your state’s ACA marketplace.
Can I Get Dental Insurance at Any Time?
When you can typically purchase dental insurance depends on how and when you are buying it:
- Group plan through your employer - You can sign up for dental insurance shortly after starting at a different company, after a qualifying life event or during your company’s open enrollment period
- Via a Medicare Advantage plan - You need to do so during Medicare open enrollment (October 15 to December 7)
- ACA plan - You need to do so during open enrollment (dates vary, check healthcare.gov or your state’s ACA website for the latest information) or demonstrate that you qualify for a special enrollment period
- Private insurance - You can buy dental insurance at any time. (Sometimes referred to as personal/individual insurance)
Can I Buy Dental Insurance Without a Waiting Period?
A waiting period is the time period following your coverage start date during which no benefits are paid. In most plans, there are no waiting periods for preventive care, such as cleanings, exams, and x-rays. Basic services such as fillings and simple extractions have a waiting period of six months or less, depending on your state. Major dental work, such as root canals, crowns, implants, and braces have a waiting period of 12 months or less, depending on your state.
Can I Buy Dental Insurance On My Own?
Taking care of your teeth and maintaining good oral and overall health can become expensive. Individual dental insurance pays for preventive care, like cleanings and x-rays, that can keep you healthy, but it also helps pay for more extensive, costly and often unexpected expenses, such as filings, crowns and root canals.
And, if you have young children, timely visits to a dentist can be an important part of your child’s lifelong oral health. Tooth decay is the most common childhood diseases —often causing pain that impacts a child’s sleeping or eating habits, and it may lead to school absences . Dental insurance helps make taking care of a child’s oral health more affordable.
Where Can I Get Dental Insurance?
Buying dental insurance through Guardian Direct can be fast, easy and secure. Guardian Direct is available in 44 states and the District of Columbia, 365 days a year so you can purchase dental insurance on your schedule. All enrollments are instantly approved so you can obtain a policy instantly. Guardian accepts multiple payment methods, such as a credit/debit card, ACH, or check and payment schedules, such as monthly, quarterly, or annually depending on what fits your budget. When you purchase online you can feel confident that our secure website guards your security just like banking sites do.
1. https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/hygiene/disease/dental_caries.html Last accessed November 2019
2. https://www.cdc.gov/oralhealth/basics/childrens-oral-health/index.html Last accessed November 2019
Good Health Starts With Your Smile
You're busy and sometimes it’s a challenge to get it all done. Our plans are designed to help make it easier for you to put your health first - starting with your smile. Find a plan that’s right for you.
Be Prepared for Life's Surprises
You never expect an accident to happen to you or anyone in your family. Our plans help you deal with surprise costs that go along with them. Find a plan that’s right for you.
A Smart Choice for Pet Insurance
Now you can get simple, easy, affordable pet insurance and join millions of other happy customers.
Critical Illness Insurance